Inauguration by the Mayor of Serres, Petros Aggelidis (right), the Vice-Mayor responsible for infrastructure projects, Ilias Gkotsis (left) and TAP’s Country Manager for Greece, Katerina Papalexandri.
The renovation project was welcomed by the Municipality and the local community as an opportunity to upgrade the historical and commercial centre of Serres. And thanks to the efforts of all involved parties, the project was concluded in just three months after its launch and was implemented in line with international Health and Safety best practice.
The Central Square is located at the very heart of the city of Serres, extending over 70,000m2. The newly renovated street improves the quality of life for residents and visitors, providing them a beautiful recreational area for walking or cycling.
In fact, the renovation of Dorilaiou Street is the first step in a larger project to renovate the city’s entire central park – "a significant redevelopment project for the people of Serres and a vision of 100 years for the city that is becoming a reality," as it was described by the Mayor of Serres, Petros Aggelidis.
The renovation of the Dorilaiou street project included:
- paving the street, as well as the walkways leading to an existing pond, with Karystos schist stones and decorative elements
- creating a two-way paved bike road
- creating tactile paving for the visually impaired
- installing a lighting network and lighting posts
- installing outdoor benches and two fountains with potable water, built with natural stone slabs.